Skip to main content

7 Life Lessons

As a bona-fide human, I like to think I know a thing or two about being alive. It’s a risky business, sure, but I’ve learnt some key life lessons along the way. Here are 7 of them – one for every day of the week I could have spent sleeping.

1: When something goes wrong in life, and you feel like a failure, all you need to remember is one thing: alcohol was invented for a reason, and repression is a wonderful thing.

When I reached my second year at university, I decided it was better for my mental health if every time I failed I bought a bottle of Jameson. Not only did it not help, it broke my bank account *ahem* overdraft (which were also invented for a reason).


2. Essays are stressful, difficult, and extremely time consuming. But with a little bit of integrity, a six-pack of Red Bull, and a sprinkling of Pro Plus you can beat that all-nighter.

I felt like I had died, been microwaved back to life, and then died again, but I always got my essays in on time. (Seriously, though, don’t take Pro Plus, it’s Satan’s cocaine).


3. Never, ever sleep with your make-up on.

Unless you’re drunk, or stoned, or tired, or just generally can’t be bothered. But try to remember to take it off straightaway in the morning. Or afternoon, or evening, or whenever you can be bothered.


4. You're never as good a dancer as you think you are, no matter how drunk you get.

But that doesn't mean you should stop doing it. Go nuts, let loose, who cares?!


5. Buying drain unblocker is expensive, but swirling your loose hairs around on the wall next to the shower is absolutely free.

Plus it keeps your drains clear and you can make pretty patterns.


6. There’s nothing that makes you want to shrivel up and die more than when you remember that embarrassing thing you did on April 4th 2001 while you’re on the toilet.

So always remember your phone to avoid any unwanted memories creeping up on you while your demon is creeping out of you.


7. As I’ve grown older, I’ve realised that pleasing everyone is impossible.

But pleasing yourself comes much more easily, so make an evening out of it.


At the end of the day, life is like a never-ending exam. You’ll get things right, you’ll get things wrong, you’ll cry, you’ll tear your hair out, and you’ll keep looking at everyone else to see if you’re in the same boat. But it’s okay, because it’s never-ending – so you can never definitively fail.


Right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medusa Was Defending Herself

We’ve all heard of Medusa. She’s the scary monster with a full head of venomous snakes, and eyes that turn you to stone. We have been told countless of times about the tale of Medusa and Perseus, who defeated the Gorgon by severing her head. It sounds oh, so heroic. But what if we thought about what history doesn’t teach us about Medusa? What if, instead of interpreting her as a monster who tormented people, we think about her in a new light? Because here is the stone cold truth: Athena blessed Medusa with the power to protect herself from the brutality of men, and she was murdered for it. It’s no secret that the world we live in is structured by patriarchal values that uphold the power and heroism of men, and diminish the value of women. We see it every day: in the media, in politics, even in our own back yard. Greek mythology is no different. What we are rarely taught about is how Medusa came to even be Medusa. As one of the Gorgon sisters, she was originally a golden-ha

Where's Your Wet Spot?

After watching ‘Burlesque,’ a brilliant movie starring Christina Aguilera and the ever-dazzling Cher, my friend and I had always been dying to see one in person. Well, thanks to Belgrave Music Hall and Ryvita Von Cheese (get it?) we got our chance to join the colourful madness of burlesque and cabaret last Friday night. If you haven’t heard of The Wet Spot before, I’m about to open your eyes to a new world where stunning performers deliver risqué sequences beneath a canopy of glitter and spotlights. This haven of the strange and wonderful was created by Ryvita Von Cheese back in 2007, and has since become the biggest and baddest burlesque show in West Yorkshire. Performers come from all over the UK, Europe, and even the USA, bringing a wave of sensational acts that will send you reeling. The Wet Spot now has a permanent home at Leeds’ beloved Belgrave Music Hall, so this magnificent hotbed of absurdity is now right on your doorstep. My friend and I began our evening climbing t

Preface

I’m not sure how I’ve made it this far. Not that I’m successful, or happy, or have achieved anything. On days like this, when the sky is pale blue and the air feels like frost, and the autumn canopies arouse a melancholic nostalgia that sticks in my throat, I’m just surprised that I’m still here.             I take a long, hungry drag from my menthol cigarette. The smoke mixes with the October air and fills my lungs; it feels clean, satisfying. The bench I sit on is frosted with a fine layer of ice, and it slowly melts into my jeans. I’ve put ‘In the Sun’ by Joseph Arthur on repeat on my phone as I watch the blur of strangers walk by from this campus bench.             Some walk in groups of three, linking arms, heads bowed against the cold. Here, a boy on a skateboard weaves between those coming from their 9 a.m. lectures; next, a young girl in a blue beanie buys a coffee from the campus vendor; now comes a couple of housemates running self-consciously, probably late for their 10